FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
PhpBB- & WordPress- antispam.com
Home of the Antispam for all fields mod ! 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

PhpBB- & WordPress- antispam.com Forum Index » [PhpBB2] Feature requests » Idea for a possible feature - Abuse reporting
  The time now is Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:58 am 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Idea for a possible feature - Abuse reporting  Reply with quote  

Lord Raiden
Experienced user

Ok, one thing I've noticed recently is the growing number of people who come in from different ISP's, or even the same one who are blatant spammers. Blocking them is fine, but that only keeps them out of your site and doesn't stop the problem. It just kinda bandaid's it. So here's my thought on a possible addition. Not sure how possible this will be or if it's even possible to do with just one click. Right now it has to be done by hand and that's a pain.

What I was thinking was thinking was to have a link on each spam post that looks up an ip address, finds out who owns it, looks for any abuse address, then gives you the option to email that abuse department and report the spammer. There could be two options, one canned message that says, "Hey, said person at this IP on your service is spamming my site. Please do something about it. Thanks." and then be able to mail it off from within PHPbb. On sites where no abuse info is possible, we'll have to do the homework ourselves, but there should be enough out there that we are able to get the info from whois to make this work. If enough site owners report these scumbags, maybe we'll force enough of them out of business to slow the spread of attempted spam.

Just a thought. I personally have no idea how the heck to do this, so any ideas on how to do this beyond what I suggested is cool. Smile

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

will_hough
Phpbb coder

I believe thats what they are doing at bbprotection.net

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

ramon fincken
Site Admin

will_hough wrote:
I believe thats what they are doing at bbprotection.net

well.. they only harvest the incoming usernames and such... they don't offer a feature to report them 'on sight'

* update:
I was mistaken !!
Techie Micheal wrote:
We do offer a feature to report users, and that has been there since day 1.

PhpBB2 mod: http://www.phpbbantispam.com/viewtopic.php?t=1
WordPress plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/antispam-for-all-fields/
Project files & mailinglist: https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpbbantispam/

Last edited by ramon fincken on Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Lord Raiden
Experienced user

Wow, they're doing something very similar to an idea I had. lol. Glad I didn't start my idea. They appear well ahead of me. Wink

I wonder if there's a way we could integrate some of what they have into this mod. We don't need everything they offer, because the spam mod does part of that already, but their idea of blacklisting usernames and IP's is a good one. Besides, I think we need a good distributed or univesal blacklist to be tied into the mod anyways. Now I don't want to sound like I'm putting extra work on you Ramon, but it would be another big improvement towards stopping spammers. Very Happy

Of course even if we did partially integrate some of their features into the spam mod, it still doesn't solve the abuse reporting problem. Then again, it may not be needed if they do it for us. We'd have to check that out and see if they're reporting these IP's back to the respective ISP's. If they are, that takes care of this idea completely. If not, it may be an addition to suggest to them. Smile

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

ramon fincken
Site Admin

it just might, but I'm not very fond of setting up a worldwide (black/white)-list of spammers, IP's, emails and so on.

That is the reason why I don't update the list mentioned over at phpbbinstallers.net

PhpBB2 mod: http://www.phpbbantispam.com/viewtopic.php?t=1
WordPress plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/antispam-for-all-fields/
Project files & mailinglist: https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpbbantispam/

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

jonnblaze

they only harvest the incoming usernames and such... they don't offer a feature to report them 'on sight'

TOP View user's profileSend private messageAIM Address  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Anonymous

I don't think your idea is going to worked out for all sites. The thread is good, but you still have to find a better way to stop the spammers. As ramon said there should be some additional features to make it an advanced one.

TOP   BOTTOM

PhpBB- & WordPress- antispam.com Forum Index » [PhpBB2] Feature requests » Idea for a possible feature - Abuse reporting

Page 1 of 1