FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups   Register Register 
PhpBB- & WordPress- antispam.com
Home of the Antispam for all fields mod ! 
  Profile Profile   Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

PhpBB- & WordPress- antispam.com Forum Index » [PhpBB2] Feature requests » An idea for several features - quiing, logging and tracking
  The time now is Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:13 am 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: An idea for several features - quiing, logging and tracking  Reply with quote  

Lord Raiden
Experienced user

Ok, I was sitting here today going through my forums and had an idea that I think might be interesting. Right now the mod has one section where all the pending spam items go into. I've found that in order to keep that from being cluttered, you have to delete entries after they're approved. So here's an idea that could solve that. It would only require one extra field in the antispamdb table. Something along the lines of "state" where if it were zero, it would be considered as "pending" and would show up where it is now. Items that are approved or denied would get a rating of 1 or 2 and would go into a new "log" section that would show all posts something like this:

Date User Status IP (anything else you'd want to show out here)
11/06/06 SomeUser Approved 0.0.0.0 etc.
11/17/06 SomeUser2 Denied 0.0.0.0 etc.

No fold out screen showing all the details would be nessisary. If someone wanted to view this they would just click on the link and the details of the post would appear in a popup window, or it could just go to the next page and show the details.

This would also come in handy for tracking users from a given area. Since I work in networking I deal with a lot of ip's and subnets. So I tend to see paterns in IP's people use faster than most people. Right now I do this by hand, but I think it'd be a neat addition to the mod if it could be done. This would be visible via either the pending section, or the log section. What it would do is look at all the IP's caught by the spam mod. If a series of posts were denied due to spam, then the mod could look at the IP of the poster, and match it to known IP's of previous spammers. If one particular IP block or subnet is generating a lot of spammers, you should then be able to decide if you want to just ban that entire subnet or not.

Since I don't know the networking proficiency of anybody here, and since I don't want to talk over anyone's head I'll keep this simple. (I have an article explaining subnetting here for anyone that needs help understanding this) Basically I'm looking for the mod to do two things in this area.

1. Group ip's by subnet. For example, if a spammer hits your site using these IP's:

We can safely assume that the spammer resides in the 169.207.5.0/24 subnet. I'd say that you'd need a minimum of 15 unique IP's per class A (the /24 subnet) and 100 per class B before it should flag those as possible subnets worth consideration of blanket banning to prevent further spamming of your forums. The mod can show you which you should consider for banning and give you a link to see who it belongs to. This can simply be done by opening the link in a new window and link directly to dnsstuff.com with a URL like this: http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=206.255.214.49

It gives the IP whois infomation on the IP, who owns it and how many IP's they're allocated. Again, it should be entirely up to the admin of the forums to decide which he wants to ban or blanket ban, but the more information provided at a single click, the better. Smile

2. IP whois link off pending entry in spam database. This is more or less a dirivative of #1. But with this, you would make the IP address under "spam attempts" as a link going to dnsstuff.com. Now I'm not sure which you guys would consider more useful. The Ipwhois tool, or the dns lookup for the IP. I would think IPwhois, because it could help identify potential ip blocks that would contain a multitude of spammers. Places such as russia or china. In short, it's just something to make your information gathering quicker and give you more info to make your decisions by.

Another thing that'd be kinda cool, and this is purely personal preference, would be to add graphics for the approve and deny. Smile Something like these two examples:

Well, that's my ideas. Just thought I'd chuck them all out in one clean sweep since I kinda got them all at the same time. Smile You're welcome to use, abuse, discuss, or dismiss any of the ideas I've presented.

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

ramon fincken
Site Admin

waaw, interesting suggestion(s) you got there !!

I have to do more with intelligent marking of spam and detection like subnets like you posted over here Smile

I will have time again to code in 2007 Razz and I think we can start with the IP lookup url Smile

PhpBB2 mod: http://www.phpbbantispam.com/viewtopic.php?t=1
WordPress plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/antispam-for-all-fields/
Project files & mailinglist: https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpbbantispam/

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website  BOTTOM
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote  

Lord Raiden
Experienced user

Cool. Like I mentioned before, I won't be back to my coding machine until the 4th. So if you need some help with the coding, let me know and I'll try to tackle any modules that you need help with.

TOP View user's profileSend private message  BOTTOM

PhpBB- & WordPress- antispam.com Forum Index » [PhpBB2] Feature requests » An idea for several features - quiing, logging and tracking

Page 1 of 1